Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year

I remember when I was young...in the 90s!...thinking that the year 2000 was sooooo far away. Now it's 2012. What!
I got to ring in the new year with some of my most favorite people. We ate yummy food and played fun games and quietly exclaimed "Happy New Year" (Eli was in bed) when the microwave clock turned from 11:59 to 12:00. We had a good time, and it definitely beat driving downtown at midnight.
Like most, I spent the last few days thinking about the past year and my goals for this coming year. 
2011 was an amazing year. I learned a lot about myself and about others.  I discovered that I am stronger than I once viewed myself and also learned how to rely on others, as well as my Heavenly Father.  I also recognize that I have a lot of room for improvement.  So bring it on 2012!

Bring it on...Newsies style.

Today at church, all of the speakers focused on gratitude.  I decided that this year I would make a more conscious effort to recognize and show gratitude.  I know I bring this up a lot, but when I injured my ankle, looking for the positives in that situation really helped me, and proved to me that counting our blessings and being grateful can get us through difficult times.  Each week I plan to write down 3 things I am grateful for, and to record my feelings about each of them.  I hope that this will help me to have a more positive outlook on life and in showing my gratitude.  So, this week I am thankful for:
1. My ankle healing so quickly.  It has been almost 4 months since my surgery.  That seems like a long time, and believe me, at times it feels like forever, but based on the severity of the injury, I am really healing quite fast.  I went to physical therapy last week, and she told me I have great range of motion (almost the same as my good ankle) and that if I incorporate a few strengthening exercises into my daily routine, I'll be dancing again soon.  Although, not soon enough! 
2. My family.  It has been so nice to be able to spend Christmas break at home.  I love having a dad who provides me with a job when I'm in town and a mom who cooks, does my laundry, and still takes care of me when I am sick.  I also love having 2 awesome-face sisters who are very gracious and aren't embarressed to play Just Dance with their gimpy sister.  I know I don't always show appreciation to my family the way I should; sometimes I just expect them to love me because, well, they have to. But, I really do appreciate my family.  They are wonderful examples, and put up with me, too!
3. Piano.  My mom started teaching me to play the piano when I was about 5 years old.  I took lessons from 2 wonderfully talented teachers after my mom couldn't stand me any longer!  I had a love/hate relationship with the piano for awhile.  I love being able to sit down and play my favorite songs.  I hated practicing. We all know the saying "practice makes perfect", and when it comes to learning to play the piano, that saying applies.  I remember shutting myself in my room, attempting to avoid practicing and lessons.  I remember playing my songs really slow in hopes of outsmarting the oven timer, which signalled the end of practice time. I am now grateful that my mom forced (some days she was forced to force) me to attend weekly lessons, practice every day, and participate in piano recitals.  Why? Because now I can sit down at the piano and sight read any song I want to play, and that is something that many people don't have.  When I play music, I don't think of anything else; my mind is clear.  Thanks mom for teaching me, not only music, but many life lessons via our upright piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment