Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Spring Break

We all know my blog is not up to date.  However, spring break was only a couple weeks ago, so I'm doing pretty good this time!  Working for a school has it's perks, one being a whole week off in March!  I took the opportunity to visit my super cool friend Tabitha and her husband Taylor.  I met them in college.  Shortly thereafter I moved back to Canada and then they moved to North Carolina.  So I spent spring break in NC, which was so amazing!  I had never been that Far East before, so it was an extra fun experience! We did a lot of hiking/walking and took in the beautiful scenery.  The trees were just starting to bud!

The American Tobacco Trail

West Point on the Eno

West Point on the Eno

West Point on the Eno

Tab introduced me to Letterboxing while I was there.  What is Letterboxing, you ask? Allow me to explain.  You need a stamp and a logbook in order to participate.  Tab helped me hand-carve my own stamp.  We also hand made my logbook. After you have your supplies you're ready for the adventure that is Letterboxing.  There are stamps hidden all over the place (like geocaching) and clues online to help you find them.  When you find the letterbox, you stamp your logbook with the stamp you found and stamp the hidden logbook with your stamp.  It's a fun treasure hunt and your treasure is a book of stamps and memories! Taylor hates it, so it's a good thing I was there to collect 20+ stamps with Tab!




My stamp and logbook.

We also took a day trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  This area was in my dad's mission (he served there) and only 3 hours from Raleigh, so we decided that would be where we have our first visit to the Atlantic Ocean. Neiter of us had been to the east coast before and it did not disappoint!  We rode the Skywheel, which is a big Ferris wheel on the beach, ate some seafood, and enjoyed the ocean!  We also found a few letterboxes!



View from the Skywheel.






The Sea Captains House, built in the 1930's.


Tab and I also visited a plantation!  I have always wanted to see one, and hope to visit more in the future.  The history intrigues me.  We went to Stagville plantation, which is a few miles outside of Durham (I'm pretty sure!).  If my memory is correct, the plantation was 30,000 acres and had 900 slaves, as it was a self-sufficient plantation.  I wish I could remember more of the facts because it was so interesting. 

Historic Stagville House

Slave Cabin, which housed 5-6 families.

Slave Housing

The Great Barn

Inside the barn.  It is believed that the builders came from port or worked on ships because of the building style.


We also got to visit the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh, which has free admission by the way!  It has exhibits of animals, rocks, plants, etc. that are native to North Carolina.  There was also a temporary dinosaur exhibit!  I love museums, so this was right up my alley.  I didn't get very many pictures at the museum.  Tab got some, but she is in the process of moving, so I don't have them yet!

Blue Whale skeleton





Selfie with a wounded dinosaur.

Our museum day was concluded with AMAZING BBQ and knit-night.  Tab taught me to knit when we lived in Utah, and she gave me a little refresher while I was visiting.  But first, the amazing food...I love BBQ, but I was not prepared for the wonderful meal that I would devour at The Pit.  My mom raves about fried green tomatoes, so we tried those, BBQ pork, baked beans, and best or all...hush puppies!!! Oh Canada, why can't you serve hush puppies?  Anyway, enjoy these delicious photos!

Hush pups, as we call them.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

The nastier it looks, the better it tastes!

And my scarf...a work in progress.


I was also able to squeeze in some time at the Raleigh, NC temple. It was built about the same time as Edmonton and is just about identical!  I loved the cute little workers with their southern accents.  The temple is such a peaceful place, I am glad for the opportunity to attend.


I'm so grateful I met Tab and Taylor and that we became instant friends!  You never know where complimenting someone's glasses will lead!  Thanks for being such great hosts and showing me around the beautiful state of North Carolina!

I Heart Her

No comments:

Post a Comment