Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Surgery

Last week I posted about my injury.  I had surgery yesterday morning.  Here's the rest of the story:

After hobbling around on crutches for a few days, I had an appointment with an amazing orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday.  He confirmed the diagnosis of ruptured achilles tendon, and strongly suggested having it repaired surgically.  He felt that surgery should be done sooner than later in order to reduce complications with surgery and allow for better recovery and healing.  So, he set me up with a splint and I was scheduled for surgery on Thursday morning. 
Me and Nurse Ginger after I got my splint.



On Wednesday evening my uncle Ben stopped by on his way home from work to give me a priesthood blessing.  He is such an amazing man.  I am so grateful to have him and his family living so close.  He gave me a beautiful blessing which left me feeling comforted, loved, and knowing that even though this situation is inconvenient, that I will make it through alright.
My mother also flew in on Wednesday evening.  There is just something about having your mommy with you when you aren't feeling well.  She was with me while I was in surgery, and will be here for a week while I begin my recovery. I love her!
We had to be at the surgical center early yesterday morning.  All of the nurses and staff were amazing; keeping us informed and making us feel comfortable.  The nurse who put in my IV didn't even give me a bruise! Bonus!  After talking to the anesthesiologist and the surgeon, I was wheeled into the O.R. by another friendly nurse.  Soon after I got there, I was put to sleep.  I was happy about that because I hate listening to them prep the surgical equipment.  The doctor expected the surgery to last about 60-90 minutes.  However, once he got in, he realized that my injury was worse than the x-rays showed.  Surgery ended up lasting closer to 2 hours.  I heard through the grapevine that my muscle was described as "shredded" (EWW) so it took a little more effort to fix.  They were able to pull my muscle down and attach it to my tendon.  Shortly after I came to, they had me dressed and wheeled out to the car!  They waste no time!  Since then I've been resting at Ginger's house.  She has been kind enough to have my mom and I stay at her place because: 1. She is super awsomely wonderful. And 2. Her home is much quieter and more comfortable than my apartment. 
Showing off my sweet bandages.
I haven't been in much pain...keeping on top of pain pills is always a good idea.  I will have to be on crutches for a few more weeks. (No putting weight on my left foot for 6 weeks).  So, I'm going to get super buff arms...my dream come true!
Thanks everyone for your support and well-wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment