Today is Remembrance Day. Being the patriotic Canadian that I am, there is a special place for November 11 in my heart. I think it is so important to take time to remember the great sacrifices that so many people made, so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.
I'm sure I shared this poem last year, but it is one of my very favorites, and the only poem I have memorized from years of reciting it at school.
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
John McCrae
Also, mom gave me a poppy to wear, since Americans don't wear poppies, but it blew away in the crazy wind storm that was Thursday night. I was so sad! I wore a red skirt today, instead.
wheres the like button on this blog?
ReplyDeletethis bruce by the way.
ReplyDeleteHey! I wish blogger had a like button! I guess we just have to leave comments...?
ReplyDelete